Forget normal fries. Taste these spiced up, crispy bad boys and you will be hooked! It’s very easy to make but will impress anyone who tastes them. You can use any type of fries for this dish but it’s important that they are made quite crispy. We prefer using oven fries.
For 2 people
1 dried Sicilian chili pepper, rehydrated (or substitute with a fresh one)
2 tbsp oil, for example light olive oil
½ red onion, finely diced
½ tsp salt
½ cm fresh ginger, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tomato, diced
1 tsp ground Turkish cumin
1 tsp Sicilian coriander
½ tsp Vietnamese cinnamon
½ tsp Murcia cayenne pepper (adjust according to how much you like heat)
½ tsp freshly ground Bucay black pepper
½ tsp Kerala turmeric
500 gr fries, cooked & hot
2 tbsp fresh cilantro
1 tsp lime juice
- Rehydrate the dried chili with some boiling water for about 10 minutes. Discard the water and chop the chili into small pieces.
- If you are making oven fries: put those in the oven now
- Heat a semi-large (the fries will be added later) frying pan to medium heat and add cooking oil. Toss in the onions and salt and cook for about 5 minutes until they have softened.
- Add the garlic, stir for 30 seconds and then add the tomato. Let it cook on low heat for about 5 minutes.
- While cooking, mix all spices.
- Add the spices to your pan, mix well and cook for another 10 minutes. Stir every once in a while.
- Add the hot crispy fries, lime juice, and cilantro to the pan and mix well. Taste if it needs any more salt.
Serve with your favorite condiment (like a mayo & hot sauce mix!) and be careful not to burn your mouth.